The Young Southeast Asian Leaders Initiative (YSEALI) was launched in 2013 by the U.S. President Barack Obama to strengthen leadership development and networking in Southeast Asia. YSEALI seeks to build the leadership capabilities of youth in the region, strengthen ties between the United States and Southeast Asia, and nurture an ASEAN community.
It comprises a variety of programs and engagements, including U.S. educational and cultural exchanges, regional exchanges, seed funding and digital resources and focuses on critical topics identified by youth in the region: civic engagement, environment and natural resources management, and entrepreneurship and economic development.
YSEALI Professional Fellowship Program:
YSEALI Professional Fellowship Program is part of YSEALI and was launched on November 14, 2014, in Rangoon, Burma.
Essentially, it brings exceptional young leaders from ASEAN countries to the U.S. to build their practical expertise, leadership skills, and professional networks, enabling them to contribute more fully to their countries and communities and accelerate their leadership trajectories.
Contents of Program:
YSEALI Fellowships are designed to encourage and foster the ingenuity, confidence, passion, and commitment of the next generation of ASEAN leaders. It offers young leaders an opportunity to meet, share ideas and work with some of America’s dedicated leaders from community organizers to senior government officials the following areas:
- Economic Empowerment
- Environmental Sustainability
- Legislative Process and Governance
- Civic Engagement
The first three of the above are open to all 10 ASEAN member states. Civic engagement is for 5 of the 10 ASEAN member states only, namely Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam.
- Young professionals, ages 25-35, who are citizen of, and currently residing in, one of the 10 ASEAN member nations;
- Community leaders currently employed and with at least two years of professional experience at the time of application;
- Have a track record of making an impact in their community, institution or company;
- Be proficient in spoken and written English at the time of application.
Application & Enquiries:
For more information and application, please refer to:
Applicants have to choose one of the following and apply online, complying with the respective application deadlines:
- Economic Empowerment(due November 13, 2017)
- Environmental Sustainability(due November 6, 2017)
- Legislative Process and Governance(due November 17, 2017)
- Civic Engagement(due November 15, 2017)
Enquiries can be made to:
Cultural Affairs Office
Public Affairs Section
376 Jalan Tun Razak
50400 Kuala Lumpur
Ms Wee Hui Bieh, AFMSA, October 2017
American Embassy, Kuala Lumpur Website.
This post is also available in: 简体中文 (Chinese (Simplified))