A Scholarship for outstanding Singapore or international students to pursue a full-time higher degree programme by research at National University Singapore (NUS) or Nanyang Technological University (NTU).
- A First Class Honours or Second Class (Upper Division) Honours or its equivalent
- Not on paid employment or concurrently hold any other scholarship, fellowship, bursary or top-up allowance during the prescribed period of the award.
Value of Awards:
The award covers the annual tuition fee and a monthly stipend, as follows:
|For PhD candidates||For Master’s candidates|
|Singapore Permanent Resident||S$2,200||S$1,500|
Scholars who pass the Ph.D. Qualifying Examination/Confirmation may enjoy an additional stipend up to $500 per month, subject to good performance in research and the attainment of required standards for courses taken.
Duration of Award:
The award is tenable for one year in the first instance and is renewable subject to good progress. The maximum period is 2 years for Master’s candidates and 4 years for PhD candidates
There is no bond attached to the scholarship.
Research Work & Duties at NTU:
International students must perform teaching/ laboratory supervision duties to fulfil the following requirements of the Graduate Assistantship Programme.
|Degree||Total Hours Required to Serve during Candidature|
|2-year Master’s by Research||156 hours|
|1-year Master’s by Research||78 hours|
- Candidates must undertake to carry out research work as directed by the Chair of the School concerned;
- Candidates will be required to assist the School in teaching duties for three hours a week. There will be no remuneration.
- Candidates may be appointed to assist in academic or administration work not exceeding 10 hours of work per week. There may or may not be any remuneration.
Application & Enquiries:
Apply for the scholarship when filling in application form for admission. Complete the “Application for Scholarship” section in the application form. Further information is available at http://www.nus.edu.sg/admissions/graduate-studies/scholarships-financial-aid-and-fees/scholarships-awards/nus-research-scholarship.html, and http://admissions.ntu.edu.sg/graduate/scholarships/Pages/ResearchScholarship.aspx.
At NUS, there are two intakes for graduate studies each year – August or January. For August intake, application period for research programme is 16 May. -15 Nov.; for January intake, application period for research programme is 16 Nov. – 15 May.
At NTU, there are also two intakes for graduate studies each year – August or January. For August intake, application period is 1 Oct. -31 Jan. (15 Nov. for School of Humanities and Social Sciences ); for January intake, application period is 1 June – 31 July ( for all schools ).
Ms Wee Hui Bieh, AFMSA, Jan. 2018
National University of Singapore & Nanyang Technological University websites.
This post is also available in: 简体中文 (Chinese (Simplified))