The Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) offers scholarships to Malaysians and other foreign nationals to study at undergraduate and postgraduate levels at Japanese universities.
- Malaysians between 17 and 22 years of age on 1st April 2019 ( i.e. born between 2nd April 1997 and 1st April 2002 );
- Completed SPM (9 As, A+ or A) with at least 11 years of formal education ( excluding remove class ). Students with STPM (A- or GPA 3.6 in related subjects & Band 5/6 in MUET), ‘A’ Level (A in related subjects plus A or A+ in SPM English), Matriculation/Foundation (A- or GPA 3.6 in related subjects plus A- in English), UEC or Diploma may also apply;
- Good command of English and/or Japanese with excellent result in other major subjects.
- Under 35 years of age on 1st April 2019 ( i.e. born on or after 2nd April 1984 );
- Bachelor or Master’s degree (minimum CGPA 3.4) with 16 years of formal education ( excluding remove class ). Undergraduate or Master’s students who are in the final year at universities are eligible to apply;
- Civil servants are required to apply through the Public Service Department of Malaysia (JPA). For details, please visit http://www.jpa.gov.my, or contact “Unit Pengurusan Penawaran Dalam Perkhidmatan” at 03-8885-3546 or email@example.com
Duration of Study:
Undergraduate: 5 – 7 years; postgraduate: 1½ or 2 years or more.
Value of Award:
For undergraduate study, an allowance of 117,000 yen per month; for postgraduate study, an allowance of 143,000 yen per month; plus airfare to and from Japan; and tuition and other fees.
No. of Awards:
Undergraduate: about 150 students per year from all over the world; Postgraduate: approximately 25 students per year.
Application & Enquiries：
Further information and application form are available online at http://www.my.emb-japan.go.jp/English/JIS/education/scholarship/scholarship.htm and from Japan Information Service, Embassy of Japan in Kuala Lumpur. Tel : +603 – 2177 2600 ext. 146 ( undergraduate )/157 ( postgraduate ).
Ms Wee Hui Bieh, AFMSA, Mar. 2018
Embassy of Japan, Kuala Lumpur Website
This post is also available in: 简体中文 (Chinese (Simplified))