The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) offers scholarships to Malaysians to study at undergraduate and postgraduate levels at Japanese universities.
- Malaysians between 17 and 22 years of age on 1st April 2020 (i.e. born between 2nd April 1998 and 1st April 2003);
- Completed SPM with at least 11 years of formal education ( excluding remove class ). Students with STPM, ‘A’ Level, UEC, Matriculation or Diploma may also apply;
- Good command of English or Japanese with excellent result in other major subjects.
- Malaysians under 35 years of age on 1st April 2020 (i.e. born on or after 2nd April 1985);
- Bachelor or Master’s degree (minimum CGPA 3.4) with 16 years of formal education ( excluding remove class ). Undergraduate or Master’s students who are in the final year at universities are eligible to apply;
- Civil servants are required to apply through the Public Service Department of Malaysia (JPA). For details, please visit http://www.jpa.gov.my, or contact “Unit Pengurusan Penawaran Dalam Perkhidmatan” at 03-8885-3546 or email@example.com
Duration of Study:
Undergraduate: 5 – 7 years; postgraduate: 1½ or 2 years.
Value of Awards:
For undergraduate study, an allowance of 117,000-120,000 yen per month; for postgraduate study, an allowance of 143,000-148,000 yen per month; plus airfare to and from Japan; and tuition, Japanese language course fees and other fees.
Number of Awards:
Undergraduate: 460 worldwide from 100 countries/regions; .postgraduate: 4042 worldwide from 168 countries/regions
Application & Enquiries：
Further information and application form are available online at Embassy of Japan website: https://www.my.emb-japan.go.jp/ and from Japan Information Service, Embassy of Japan in Kuala Lumpur. Tel : +603 – 2177 2600 ext. 146 ( undergraduate )/157 ( postgraduate ).
An Education Counsellor is stationed at Japan Information Centre (1st Floor, Embassy of Japan) every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (excluding embassy holidays) from 10 am -12 noon. Applicants are welcome to make use of the service or make telephone enquiries to 03-2177-2600 (ext. 185) during this period.
Ms Wee Hui Bieh, AFMSA, Mar. 2019
Embassy of Japan, Kuala Lumpur Website
This post is also available in: 简体中文 (Chinese (Simplified))