The John Allwright Fellowship is an Award by the Australia Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR) to support collaborative research projects in agriculture to obtain postgraduate qualifications at Australian tertiary institutions.
ACIAR is Australia’s specialist international agricultural research for development agency, with the aim to broker and fund research partnerships between Australian scientists and their counterparts in developing countries.
In 2018, there were 100 John Allwright Fellows studying at 12 universities across Australia.
- Working with an ACIAR bilateral and multilateral (IARC)project in a current developing country from Pacific Island Countries, East Asia, South East Asia, South Asia, West Asia, Eastern and Southern Africa.
- A citizen of the country in which he/she is working;
- Hold qualifications equivalent to at least an Australian bachelor’s degree in a discipline that is relevant to the proposed area of postgraduate study;
- A scientist or economist from the developing country partner ( researchers from “advanced pipeline” projects, i.e. in cases where a full project proposal has been approved by ACIAR may be considered );
- Application jointly supported by the Australian and partner country Project Leaders;
- Approved by the employing institution to be absent for the period involved in obtaining the postgraduate qualification; and
- Employed on a permanent rather than short-term contract basis.
Value of Award:
Full tuition fees, return air travel, one-time payment of A$5,000 allowance for accommodation, text books and study materials, A$30,000 per annum living expenses, overseas student health insurance, travel for fieldwork for research work, 4-6 week introductory academic program, 15 month Executive Leadership Program and pre-course English if deemed necessary.
Application & Enquiries:
There is one call for nominations per year.
For further information, please refer to https://aciar.gov.au/Capacity-Building/John-Allwright-Fellowship and also refer to the Australia Awards John Allwright Fellowship guidelines：https://aciar.gov.au/content/australia-awards-john-allwright-eligibility-and-online-user-guide
Any queries may be directed to the appropriate Research Program Manager or the Project Officer, Capacity Building: Fellowships@aciar.gov.au.
Ms Wee Hui Bieh, AFMSA, June 2020
Australia Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR) Website
This post is also available in: 简体中文 (Chinese (Simplified))